Victoria History of Gloucester
There's lots of information of interest to Clutterbuck researchers in the Victoria History of the Counties of England, which is part of the greater British History Online.
A History of the County of Gloucester in volumes V, X, and XI, covering the period from 1100-1900, is probably a good place to start. But a quick search for Clutterbuck in this tome reveals countless references to the name.
Some researchers will enjoy poking around the website, looking for snippets of information about their ancestors and people from bygone days who share their very same name. Here are a couple of excerpts that caught my attention:
Manor and other estates of Leonard Stanley
A small farm-house, later called STANLEY DOWNTON FARM, west of the road at Downton, apparently occupies the site of the house of Richard Clutterbuck of Downton, yeoman (d. 1629), (Footnote 36) and was apparently rebuilt in the 1660s by his third son, John Clutterbuck (d. 1677). (Footnote 37) By 1701 it had probably passed to John's nephew, Richard Clutterbuck of Peckstreet House, King's Stanley, who then had property in Leonard Stanley, (Footnote 38) and in 1830 Richard's descendant, John Clutterbuck of Peckstreet House (d. 1839), owned Stanley Downton Farm with 68 a. (Footnote 39) The house is of coursed rubble with a gable and some stone-mullioned windows on the west; the windows on the east were replaced in the 19th century. In the late 19th century extensive stables in variegated brick were built north of the house.
Manor and other estates of Great StanmoreIn the Victoria History there are also references to the significant estates of Frampton Court and Newark Park, about which we will save much more for another day on the blog.
The Clutterbucks had held property in the parish at least since 1749, when a messuage was granted to Thomas Clutterbuck, a brewer. (Footnote 4) In 1762 he had acquired the Vine at the top of Stanmore Hill and in 1763, on behalf of his son Thomas, a brewery which stood a few yards farther north on the opposite, western, side of the road. (Footnote 5) Although not large landowners in Great Stanmore, the family had acquired many buildings, including the Crown in 1769, the Black Horse on a lease in 1851, and the Load of Hay in 1868, as well as many wastehold parcels. (Footnote 6) The purchaser of the manor was described as of Great Stanmore in 1844, of Red Hall (Herts.) in 1847, and of Micklefield Hall in 1851. (Footnote 7) The manor passed in 1895 to his son Thomas Meadows Clutterbuck (d. 1919) and to his grandson Captain Rupert Clutterbuck (d. 1933), both of Micklefield Hall. (Footnote 8) Many manorial rights were sold in the 1920s, including those in the common and Stanmore marsh, for which Hendon R.D.C. paid £1,000 in 1929. (Footnote 9) The last rights were extinguished by Captain Clutterbuck's widow and her co-executor, in whom the manor was vested, in 1935-6. (Footnote 10)